Chipko Movement PDF
Chipko Movement PDF Download for free using the direct download link given at the bottom of this article.
Hello, Friends today we are sharing with you Chipko Movement PDF to help you. If you are searching Chipko Movement in PDF format then don’t worry you have arrived at the right website and you can directly download from the link given at the bottom of this page.
The Chipko movement or Chipko Andolan was a forest conservation movement in India. It began in 1973 in Uttarakhand, then a part of Uttar Pradesh, and went on to become a rallying point for many future environmental movements all over the world. It created a precedent for starting nonviolent protests in India.
Chipko Movement UPSC
- It was a non-violent agitation that originated in Uttar Pradesh’s Chamoli district (now Uttarakhand) in 1973.
- The name of the movement ‘chipko’ comes from the word ’embrace’, as the villagers hugged the trees and encircled them to prevent being hacked.
- It is best remembered for the collective mobilization of women for the cause of preserving forests, which also brought about a change in attitude regarding their own status in society.
- Its biggest victory was making people aware of their rights to forests, and how grassroots activism can influence policy-making regarding ecology and shared natural resources.
- It led to a ban on commercial felling of trees above 30 degrees slope and above 1,000 MSL (mean sea level) in 1981.
You can download the Chipko Movement in PDF format using the link given below.